2006-11-04

Wst Blog 8

This week my life seems to be more chaotic than usual. I don't know if it's the winter blahs, the realization that there is only one month left of school, or the fact that I've had the same cold for the past three weeks, but I'm definitely starting to lose it a little bit. I was talking with a friend the other day and we both realized we were feeling major anxiety over some of these things, yet at the same time this feeling of total apathy that made us just want to tune out of everything and stay on the couch watching television. As we both expressed this feeling, I realized this sounded awfully familiar, that I was in fact having a Baudriallrd moment.
Baudriallrd claims that we are facing a loss of history due to the forces of acceleration and deceleration which have resulted in us living in a hyper reality where we accept images (simulackra) as reality. This concept of a loss of history is disturbing to me, especially when I realise that I have not taken the time to reflect on my personal history very often.
I can only hope that it is not as Baudriallrd claims, and that this is not entirely out of my control. I want to investigate further Baudriallrds claim that deceleration results in our apathy and indifference so that we live in a hyper reality and accept television as our history. Does Baudriallrd include all forms of media in this hyper reality? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Baudriallrd say that television is hyper reality because it is a copy of so many tiny little pieces of images coming across the screen? Therefore, would he view newspapers and radio in the same way? Can I avoid the hyper reality if I try to take the time to reflect and avoid the evil television? Can we take news from the television and still maintain our history if we recognize that what we are viewing is simulackra?
Signed, a girl on the edge of losing it all, possibly already soaring through hyper reality who needs a little shake back down to earth. Please.

2 comments:

Courtnachine said...

I do not think that you can avoid hyperreality if you avoid the television.We are bombarded by so many things besides the television and radio. I have recently been doing research on sexual assult and have found it to over take my life. Things such as advertisements on buildings, or the sides of buses are hardly things that can be avoided when going to school. While walking down hub mall we are always confronted with images that we are supposed to take into account in order to purchase and these advertisements in turn reinforce societal norms.

Courtnachine said...

I did not finish my comment before I "published" with a fateful click of the mouse. I was going to continue on and say while rape myths are oh so prevalent on television and my personal favourite, morning radio (what a great way to wake up), you can't escape them by avoiding television, radio, etc. I hear my friends as mouth pieces for rape propeganda and that is really scary and disturbing but if they really thought about what they were saying or what they were advocating i think they would avoid doing so but without reflecting on these ideas they will continue to propegate them. But, good thing you don't have cable ... eh?